Potentially Toxic Plants
Accurate identification is essential in providing proper treatment for your pet who has eaten a potentially toxic plant. It is helpful if all indor and outdoor plants are properly identified and labeled. When purchasing plants, ask the nursery or flower shop personnel for assistance in identifying and labeling each plant. (A Sharpie permanent marker works great in putting appropriate identification on the back or bottom of the flowerpot.)
Plants are often sprayed with insecticides and fertilizers, which can alter or disguise the symptoms seen in animals exposed to hazardous plants. Even non-toxic plants that have been sprayed with these chemicals may cause irritation to the gastrointestinal system.
The pet's size and age, as well as the amount that has been eaten can influence the severity of any potential poisoning. The most common symptoms of consuming a plant would be gastrointestinal upset, i.e., drooling, nausea, and vomiting. In highly toxic plants or in cases left untreated, the result can be death.
Following is a compiled list which represents the most commonly kept plants, but is in no way complete. We have tried to identify which parts are toxic, but haven't been able to in all cases.